A program offering community education on
harm reduction, HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C, and sexual health.
We believe that:
- Educated and informed communities are the foundation for preventing overdose deaths and the contraction of HIV, Hepatitis C, and other STIs and BBIs.
- Stigma around substance use and sexuality isolates people from the information they need.
- People who are LGBTQ2IA+, Indigenous, disabled, older, affected by difficulties with mental health, or from other marginalized experiences deserve personalized and culturally relevent information on topics of harm reduction and sexual health.
- Community education, workshops, and consulting for service providers, businesses, community groups, and schools to increase knowledge about substance use safety, sexual health, and naloxone training, and to decrease stigma. (All free of charge, or by donation, and flexibly designed to meet the needs of your group.)
- Mobile services to the East and West Kootenay/Boundary areas.
- Under the Umbrella: a safer space group for LGBTQ2IA+ youth in Nelson to support togetherness and health.
- Knit for Mental Health: knitting groups for people affected by difficulties with mental health (personally, or those of a family member) in Cranbrook or anywhere in the East Kootenays when requested.
End stigma – knowledge is power
A customizable workshop presenting all the important details of HIV, Hepatitis C, or overdose. Presenting current and relevant information about prevention, how BBIs can be passed, and treatment, with a focus on reducing stigma. Can include a condom demonstration, condom distribution, or a harm reduction supply show and tell.
Naloxone training – saving lives
A complete overview on how to administer naloxone to intervene in an opioid overdose. We’ll go over both injected and nasally sprayed naloxone, you’ll get a kit to keep, and practice injecting an orange. This presentation goes over the steps of how to identify an opioid overdose, and all of the steps to take to save someone’s life.
Safer sex – healthy relationships
An interactive explorative trip through consent, good communication, boundaries, self-esteem and self-care. We’ll talk about peer pressure, bullying, and how to have safer sex (barrier methods, birth control, and everything you want to know). Includes brainstorms and discussion, and frank discussions on everything from STIs to mental health.
Party safe – proactive self care
An opportunity to explore information on drugs, harm reduction, and overdose prevention. Also, if you or a friend does overdose, we’ll talk about what to do and how to manage that. Self care taken to a whole new level. This presentation can include a harm reduction supply show and tell.
Get in touch
Book a presentation with one of our community educators
Our Favourite Links
Take Home Naloxone
In British Columbia, there is a program that is saving lives.
Naloxone (also called Narcan®) reverses an overdose from opioids. People who are likely to experience or witness an opioid overdose can get a free Take Home Naloxone kit from an approved site.
Get Checked Online
GetCheckedOnline is a new and easy way to test for sexually transmitted infections (STI) in British Columbia, Canada. In a few steps, you can create a lab form, go to a participating LifeLabs site to give your samples and get your results online or over the phone.
Our Favourite Videos
Funded and supported by: